mission, performance goals, and approach for which they
hold themselves mutually accountable. If we see, one is based on the other one, we can't have a team if we don't have a group already.
There are several types of a member of a group, and everyone has an specific function on the group:
- Contributor: is one that supplies information
- Collaborator: is that person that focuses team on mission
- Communicator: listens, facilitates and promotes collective effort
- Challenger: devil’s advocate, questions mission, purpose, ethics
Since diversity is a source of competitive advantage,
what could be the recruitment strategies to effectively
target to diverse groups? What would be the
consequences of ignoring diversity?Diversity, is a great advantage that an organization has, and if we are the competition, it will be a huge monster one step ahead of the organization. An strategy could be an effective solving problems team, when the time of solving will be lower and we are being more competitive than the other companies.
Ignoring diversity, is one of the most huge mistakes that an organization should never do. Because, when a company has this advantage, has a saveral points of view, and the probabilities that their strategies fail are less than the other companies.
• Cox Jr., T. (2001) Creating the multicultural organization. San
• Ely, R. and Thomas, D. (2001) “Cultural Diversity at Work: The
Effects of Diversity Perspectives on Work Group Processes and
Outcomes,” Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 46, No. 2,
2001, pp. 229–273.
• Jamieson, D. and O’Mara, J. (1991) Managing workforce
2000: Gaining the diversity advantage.
• Nelson, D and Quick, J.C. (2009) Organizational culture. In
Organizational Behavior: Science, the real world and you.
• Slater, Stanley, F., Weigand, Robert A., Zweilein, Thomas J.
(2008) ¨The business case for commitment to diversity¨.
Business Horizons 51: 201-209.